- Unfortunately we could not see every player in action, players out due to injury or other reasons were: -Phillip Dorsett-Allen Hurns-Jelanie Hamilton-Dyron Dye-Robert Lockhart-Brandon Linder-Shane McDermott-David Perry-Clive Walford
- Herb Waters had the first touchdown reception of the game and was very impressive early on with multiple receptions for 10+ yards. He seemed to suffer an injury late in the first quarter to his arm/shoulder. After the game Coach Coley commented on it saying that he is fine it is nothing serious.
- Stephen Morris was impressive showing off his arm strength and accuracy. He spiraled a couple of back shoulder throws early on that couldn't be more on point. As for the 2nd quarterback spot it is still between Williams and Crow. Crow beats out Williams in arm strength but accuracy goes to Williams who had a couple of nice early touchdown passes. They will continue to battle it out, decision will be made in the fall.
- I'm not saying this just because I'm a fan but Duke Johnson is truly an incredible talent, could not be happier to have him on this team he's an excellent leader, role model and player. In the first quarter he had a 70 yard run breaking 2 tackles, also had 2 more runs for 20+ yards. He can change direction so fast and is able to weave through the defensive line, past the linebackers and high step his way around the DBs with his speed. As I've been saying all along the 2 spot at RB will go to Dallas Crawford, he runs hard and the coaches love him and his effort. As for the backs past those 2 it seems like it will be a "community" effort to make an impact in games. Still waiting on Clements to get cleared from his injury & freshman RB Gus Edwards to come in.
- It has to be understood that scrimmages contradict themselves, if wide receivers shine, it makes the defensive backs look bad, and if the defensive line stands out, it makes the offensive line look like they're not great. As that factor comes into play, the defense still did not look elite whether the offense showed them up or not. The D-line should not be a problem, Olsen Pierre is going to blow up this year and bring a lot of spotlight onto himself. Anthony Chickillo has gained some speed and used it to get 2 sacks on the QBs.
- Linebackers need to be more consistent. Denzel Perrymen who was demoted to a green jersey during spring practices picked off 2 balls yesterday and a handful of tackles. I heard he was demoted to green because the coaches wanted him to be a more consistent vocal leader. Freshman phenom Alex Figueroa never really had a chance to show off, he went down in the middle of the game with a lower leg problem. Coach Golden commented on him saying that it was nothing serious.
- I hope Artie Burns is ready to make plays as a freshman because it seems as if he is going to get a shot at a lot of playing time. The corners were not up to par and need some adjustments made before August. When opposing teams come out in a four receiver set, the four DBs should Tracy Howard, Antonio Crawford, Ladarious Gunter and Artie Burns. Also, freshman Jamal Carter should see the field a decent amount of time when Deon Bush and AJ Highsmith need to come out at safety occasionally.
- A touching moment I was happy to see was Malcolm Lewis receiving a touchdown pass for 70 yards. The play was setup by head coach Al Golden and Malcolm was covered by long time friend Tracy Howard who let him go to the end zone uncontested. Both benches followed Malcolm into the end zone and gathered around him welcoming him back to the field, a great moment bringing the team closer than they already were. His family was in the stands and they were not aware that the play was going to take place, they cried tears of joy saying "God is good".
- A couple of Hurricanes legend jumped on the field for a play. Gino Torretta threw a touchdown pass to Andre Johnson and once again benches cleared it to the end zone to celebrate with them. In an interview after the game Stephen Morris commented on it jokingly saying Gino Torretta "Tried to show me up".
The spring game will wrap up the spring camp for the Canes'. Players will now work out without coaches and strictly with their teammates, and focus on finishing school. The team returns June 28th to prepare for the upcoming season, first game is August 30th against FAU at Sun Life Stadium. Audio captured after the game from Brian "The Beast" London and myself can be heard here via Brian's SoundCloud:
Al Golden- https://soundcloud.com/miamiradiobeast/al-golden-after-the-2013-miami-hurricanes-spring-game
Mark D'onofrio- https://soundcloud.com/miamiradiobeast/coach-d-after-the-2013-miami-hurricanes-spring-game
James Coley- https://soundcloud.com/miamiradiobeast/james-coley-after-the-2013-miami-hurricanes-spring-game
Anthony Chickillo- https://soundcloud.com/miamiradiobeast/anthony-chickillo-after-the-2013-miami-hurricanes-spring-game
Denzel Perryman- https://soundcloud.com/miamiradiobeast/denzel-perryman-after-the-2013-miami-hurricanes-spring-game
Duke Johnson- https://soundcloud.com/miamiradiobeast/duke-johnson-after-the-2013-miami-hurricanes-spring-game
Malcolm Lewis- https://soundcloud.com/miamiradiobeast/malcolm-lewis-after-the-2013-miami-hurricanes-spring-game
Rashawn Scott- https://soundcloud.com/miamiradiobeast/rashawn-scott-after-the-2013-miami-hurricanes-spring-game